Canada’s New Dental Care Plan (CDCP): All Your Questions Answered

Recently this week the federal government released details of the forthcoming Canadian Dental Care Plan (CDCP). In this article, I answer all your potential questions about the plan. You can post additional questions in the comments.

Q1: What does the Canadian Dental Care Plan (CDCP) cover?

A1: The CDCP covers various oral health-care services deemed medically necessary by professionals, including preventive services (cleaning, polishing, sealants), diagnostic services (examinations, X-rays), restorative services (fillings, crowns, dentures), endodontic services (root canal treatments), prosthodontic services (complete and partial removable dentures), periodontal services (deep scaling), and oral surgery services (extractions). However, services like teeth whitening, implants, and mouth guards are not covered.

Q2: Who pays for what under the CDCP?

A2: Applicants with a household income below $70,000 won’t have to pay participating oral health providers. For families with incomes between $70,000 and $79,999, the government covers 60%, and they pay the remaining 40% as a co-pay. For those earning $80,000 to $89,999, the co-pay is 60%, with the federal plan covering the rest.

Q3: Who is eligible for the CDCP?

A3: To qualify, applicants must have an annual adjusted family net income under $90,000, be a Canadian resident for tax purposes, and not have access to other dental insurance. Eligibility will be reassessed annually, and applicants must have filed an income tax return for the previous year.

Q4: Is the income cut off before or after taxes?

A4: The cut-off is based on adjusted family net income, which involves subtracting income from universal childcare benefits and registered disability savings plans from the family’s net income. Repaid UCCB and RDSP amounts are added to determine the adjusted family net income.

Q5: Can I use the CDCP with my employer’s plan?

A5: Canadians with existing dental insurance, including through employer benefits, pension plans, or purchased individually, are not eligible for the CDCP.

Q6: Can I use my current oral health provider?

A6: Enrolled providers can submit claims to Sun Life for reimbursement. CDCP users will pay any co-pay directly to the provider. The plan aims to be supported by all oral health professionals.

Q7: When can I apply if eligible?

A7: Applications start this month, initially by phone. Seniors aged 87 and older can apply first. Other age groups will follow in a staggered approach, with online applications available from May 2024. Children, individuals with disability tax credit certificates, and eligible low- to middle-income Canadians aged 18 to 65 can apply in 2025.

Read also: 

What is CPP2? Second CPP Contribution Explained 

Sign up to join the conversation
0 Replies
Inline Feedbacks
View all replies